A Brief History

The Pemberton Picture Theatre was constructed in 1929 by Allan Jones; one of Western Australia's earliest travelling picture show men. It is the only purpose-built timber picture theatre left in Western Australia and demonstrates an important phase in the history of cinema entertainment in the State. The building operated as a picture theatre until the early 1970's and housed a woodwork studio until 1998.


Many hours of work have gone into restoring the derelict building using original photos and plans dating back to 1929. The original owners have tried to balance historical authenticity with the facilities expected of a luxury accommodation complex. Many of the features of the picture theatre have been retained or have been recreated using new materials. Still remaining are the original structure of karri timber, the timber floorboards, much of the jarrah dado, the original stage and the pressed tin ceiling roses.

The original wooden windows have been replaced by similar aluminium sash windows surrounded by timber.
The historic Adyar Cottage was originally a Group Settlement home and was transported from neighbouring Northcliffe in what must have been a huge feat at the time. It was a landmark building in the town and the first with running water.

It too has been beautifully restored to its former glory. Some of the original film posters found in the picture theatre are on display in the apartments and Adyar Cottage. For those interested in the history of cinema or the history of Pemberton there is much to be discovered during your stay.

Mary and Graham Morris, the current owners, are proud to be associated with the Old Picture Theatre.  We returned to Pemberton after a number of years, following many family holidays with the children going fishing and trying to catch marron.  It was really refreshing to see that Pemberton had retained its charm particularly in the main townsite with the timber mill cottages still being down the main street and some historic buildings such as the Pemberton Hotel still representing a building of the past.  Most importantly the big karri trees are still standing and the forest still maintains its charm.  It certainly is a unique part of Western Australia.

Since owning the Old Picture Theatre we have taken great pride in retaining the luxury and historical status of the accommodation while modifying the front gardens of the building, so vegetables and flowers are mixed together to create a cottage garden atmosphere.   We hope you will get the opportunity to enjoy The Old Picture Theatre Holiday Accommodation and look forward to looking after you as our guests.  

MEMORIES OF MATINEE MOVIES
In June 2012 Mary and Graham (owners) had the pleasure of hosting Ron Jones and his wife Valmae. 
Ron is the son of Allan Jones who built the original cinema in 1929.  It was run as a cinema until 1972.  Below is the newspaper article produced to celebrate the occasion and a copy of the cinema, with Allan Jones' Circuit Picture van, taken in 1938.

 

At the end of 2012, Ron Jones kindly donated back one of the original Picture Theatre projectors along with some other Picture Theatre memorabilia and movie posters to put in our newly developed mini museum at the rear of the Picture Theatre.  When guests come to stay at the accommodation they can now recapture the local history of the Picture Theatre.  

  

             

 

  Below is a copy of the newspaper article about the return of the projector and the projectionist George Burford

                                                    
                                                who used to work at the Picture Theatre                                

                                          

 

 

 

 

 

Mary and Graham Morris

Owners and Managers of the Old Picture Theatre Holiday Accommodation 

 

Template design by Joomlage.com